Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 7 June 2017

Book Review: There's a Fly in My Tea!

Subtitle: The Importance of Maintaining a Christian Testimony
Author: Crystal L. Ratcliff
Publisher: CrossLink Publishing, 2016
Genre: Non-fiction, Christian Living, Bible Study

First Lines
You are probably wondering what "a fly in my tea" has to do with my Christian testimony. Well, I don't know about you but when I am studying my Bible, the most memorable lessons are those visual pictures God gives to me. Recently, my Bible Study group has been going through the book of Ecclesiastes. As I studied chapter ten, God gave me the "fly in my tea" picture to teach me about verse one and the way in which my life represents Christ.
(From the Introduction)

Goodreads Description
 It's true! Despite your flaws and imperfections, your life can bring sweet comfort, joy and blessing to those around you. Each of us have some "flies"--those unhealthy, unproductive, even gross things--that creep into our lives and cause us to lose some of our flavor. But be encouraged. This study will help you discover Biblical Truths which will allow you to live a more flavorful and more satisfying life, like a cold glass of tea on a hot summer day. Ahhhh!

In There's a Fly in My Tea! we'll take a fresh, vulnerable look at the ways we let those pesky flies of doubt, frustration, fear, and bitterness creep into our lives and spoil our testimony. We'll look at the life of Peter, a man who definitely allowed some flies into his life, and learn how our own lives can be used as a sweet savor to the Lord and those around us.
My Review

In eleven chapters author Crystal L. Ratcliff uses the life of Peter to address many issues common in the lives of Christians today. She discusses the difference between salvation and a personal relationship with Christ, our response to challenges and difficulties, our willingness to serve, forgiveness, and more. Everything is supported with scripture and each chapter concludes with reflection questions and a place to answer them.

The style of the book is conversational and Ratcliff shares relevant elements from her own story as well. I would have preferred she use a different version of the Bible than the King James, which (I believe) most contemporary readers find challenging to understand. I also would have preferred she not set the scripture passages in a different font, which I found distracting and unnecessary. As far as content goes, though, she convinces that maintaining a Christian testimony is important, and gives suggestions for achieving that goal.

One of the most encouraging quotes comes from the last chapter:
"Just as Jesus met people where they were in Bible times, He is still willing to meet us where we are today. Often we make decisions that cause our fellowship with Him to be broken... Whatever the cause of our broken fellowship, Jesus is ready to meet us where we are and prompt us toward the next step in our spiritual life."
 My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Full disclosure: I received this book free through the BookCrash program in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!